Troop FAQ’s

What is BoyScouts?

The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Scout Law.The program is  for boys who are 11 through 17 years of age, or have earned the Cub Scouting Arrow of Light award and are at least 10 years old, or have completed the fifth grade and are at least 10 years old

My son wasn’t in Cub Scouts, can he join Boy Scouts without having been a Cub Scout?
Yes. Boy Scouts are welcome to join at any age any time of year.

When are Troop meetings?
Troop meetings  are typically every Monday night, generally from 7:00-8:30 p.m. at The United Presbyterian Church

When are Special Events?
The Troop usually hosts Courts of Honor to present awards such as rank advancements and meritbadges quarterly.

The United Presbyterian Church  charters Troop 157, but I’m not a member there…
Troop 157 welcomes families of all faiths.

Is Boy Scouts a “drop-off” activity?
In general, we hope that you will stay from time to time, and on occasion help when asked, however in Boy Scouts parents are not required to stay.

We have calendar conflicts, can we still participate?
Yes. Troop 157 offers a highly rich Scouting experience with a fairly full calendar. Few can attend every activity. Some activities are however mandatory, and may need to be made up.

How much is Registration? What does it cover?
Each boy pays $125/year in march to Troop 157 for registration, pro rated based on the month when he joins.

  • $33 National fee (effective 12/1/2017)
  • $36 Hudson Valley Council operation service fee
  • $12 Insurance fee
  • $16 Neckerchief, and Slide

The balance ($28) helps pay for badges, awards and meeting expenses.

What do I need to pay for besides registration?
You need to acquire a Boy Scout uniform shirt, pants, and belt for your son, along with the Hudson Valley council strip, Unit number, and world scouting crest. Hats are encouraged, but optional. Patch vests, are also great, but are also optional. Overnight trips have a fee, which is the cost to the Troop divided by the number of participants. We do accept “experienced” uniforms, and offer them at no charge for re-use, when available.

How does Troop 157 pay for meeting expenses, special events, etc.?
We participate in a single council-sponsored annual fund-raiser. The Scouts sell Trail’s End Popcorn in September and October. This program greatly benefits the Troop and council so Scouts are highly encouraged to participate. We also run a few of our own fundraisers throughout the year as needed.

Should I support the Friends of Scouting Campaign?
Donations to the Friends of scouting campaign are highly encouraged, the campaign helps fund both full and partial camper-ships for both Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts alike to attend summer camp when their family is unable to pay, as well as many other great programs.

Should I support the United Presbyterian Church?
The Troop and Pack respectively donate time, sweat, and sometimes even a few tears, while  doing service projects around the church. As well as acting as servers at many of the churches dinners throughout the year. If you would like to make a monetary contribution to the church you are more than welcome to due so.

Who runs Troop 157?
The Scouts themselves and adult volunteers run Troop 157. The Troop Leaders page lists all the adult volunteers and open positions.

How can I help?
You can help by volunteering your time or resources to help with troop activities.

Updated: October 2017